Melodic Dictation with MIDI Keyboard

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

AlCar
Ear training freshman

Melodic Dictation with MIDI Keyboard

Post by AlCar » Apr 19, 2023 10:54 am

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just the way it works. When I try to input an answer to a melodic dictation exercise using a keyboard, the notes are recognized but not the rhythms. Is this the way it's supposed to work or do I have something going on with my setup? I did check the MIDI input and both note on and note off events appear to be generated.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Melodic Dictation with MIDI Keyboard

Post by Quentin » Apr 19, 2023 11:24 pm

Hi,

Yes, it's the way it's supposed to work. In EarMaster, there are 2 main types of exercises: those where you answer asynchronously (e.g. melodic dictation, interval ID, etc.), and those where you answer live, in real-time (rhythm clapback, sight-singing, melody singback, etc.).

In Melodic Dictation, the goal of the exercises is to have you transcribe a melodic phrase, as opposed to performing it. You can indeed input tones with a MIDI keyboard, but you need to tell the app which rhythmic note value it should insert. To do that, select the note value you want from the tool bar and then play the pitch of your choice.

From what I understand, what you are trying to achieve is what Melody Singback is offering in EarMaster: it play a melody and asks you to sing/play it back in real-time. You will find "Melody Singback" among the General Workshops, the Jazz Workshops, and in Customized Exercise mode.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -