Interval Singing issue where wrong interval being given

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

RoyH
Ear training freshman

Interval Singing issue where wrong interval being given

Post by RoyH » Jul 05, 2023 2:06 am

Hi, I have set up a custom interval singing exercise. The range is larger than my vocal range so I have to sing the given interval at a higher or lower register than the original given pitch. Earmaster sometimes says I got the interval correct or tells me it is wrong, even though correct. For example it plays a note and asks me to pitch a major 2nd above, which I do but because of the range I pitch the original note and the interval an octave lower, so Earmaster says I sang a minor 7th down rather that the major 2nd up. As I say this is not consistent and sometimes it will say I sang it correctly.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

I am running on an iMac with the latest MacOS release and latest Earmaster release, using the computer speakers and microphone.

Thank you

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Interval Singing issue where wrong interval being given

Post by Quentin » Jul 25, 2023 3:28 am

In these situations, are you maybe only singing one pitch? Then the app doesn't know whether you're singing an interval downwards, or transposing the correct interval to a different octave. The solution would be to sing both notes.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -